Muffins can be a great option for breakfast, especially when they are made of healthy and nutritious ingredients. The recipe in this article is very tasty and it offers many health benefits. The main ingredient is sweet potato, but you can also use pumpkin instead.
Reasons for eating sweet potato
Not only does it have a great taste, the sweet potato also contains a lot of antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.
One of the antioxidant contained in the sweet potato is beta-carotene. It is very potent in fighting free radicals in the body. Free radicals can cause mutations in the cells by disrupting the DNA makeup of the cells. These types of mutations are one of the factors that cause different kinds of cancer.
The sweet potato is also rich in anthocyanin, a strong anti-inflammatory nutrient that gives the color of this tasty vegetable. Another health benefit of the sweet potato is that it has the power to heal both acute and chronic inflammation.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins
- 1 small organic sweet potato, roasted (1 cup, packed)
- ¾ cup of organic canned coconut milk
- ½ cup of pure organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup of organic coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 3 organic free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of organic olive oil
- 1 cup of organic brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- ⅛ Teaspoon of ground cloves
- First , heat the oven to 400 F and then add a little oil in a tray with 12-hole for muffins.
- After it is heated on the right temperature, make holes in the potato and put it in the oven for about one hour or until it gets soft on the middle rack. When the potato is cooked, take it from the oven and place it somewhere to cool.
- Next , peel it off and place the pulp into a bowl. You can throw the skin away, or you can eat it as a snack. The skin of the potato has the same nutrients and vitamins as the potato.
- Add the maple syrup, almond milk and olive oil in the bowl with the sweet potato and mix them well until you get a smooth mixture. Put all the dry ingredients in another bowl and mix them well. Then combine the sweet potato with the mixed dry ingredients and mix until you get a homogenous mixture.
- In the end, pour the mixture into the muffin tray and fill the holes until they are ¾ full. Put them on the middle rack in the oven for about half an hour, or until they are well baked. Don’t not leave marks-crumbs when you poke them inside with a knife.
Enjoy your nutritious breakfast! We are sure that once you prepare this recipe, it will become your favorite !