Our choice of what food we eat is very important for how we feel afterwards. Some foods may leave us feeling tired and groggy while others will boost our energy. With the consumption of fermented foods there’s no need of worrying about such thing. We can be always sure that we will be in better mood and more energetic than before.
Fermented foods encourage the growth of the so called good bacteria that works to break down sugars, lactose and starches in food. Also , fermented foods help to stop bad bacteria such as E coli. Sauerkraut and kimchi, yogurt, raw pickles, kefir, Kombucha and Tempeh are some of the many types of fermented foods.
- Serves: Makes about 1 gallon
- Prep Time: 20 minutes active prep
- Total Time: 4 weeks
- 5 pounds shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons sea salt or pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, mix cabbage with salt and caraway seeds. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pack cabbage mixture into a large glass food container. Top with a quartered onion to fit inside the container, weighing it down. Cover container with a paper towel and secure with a rubber band.
- Place in a cool spot overnight. Check to make sure the sauerkraut is completely submerged in liquid. Check cabbage every other day for 2 weeks, skimming off of any scum that may form on the surface.
- Let stand for at least 4 weeks total. Then store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.