Cosmetic products like face creams, masks, make-up and nail polishes in various colors are part of every woman’s life. However, most of them contain harmful ingredients that that can have negative consequences on our overall health. Particularly , too much use of nail polish can result in yellow nails.
This cosmetic product causes much more damage than what is generally assumed.
Of course, our goal is not to make you quit nail polishing, but at least you will have the opportunity to learn about the negative aspects of using it.
What is the main health hazard?
The risk of using a nail polish is the toxic substances it contains . Most of the current cosmetics contain the following substances that could ruin your health:
- 1. Toluene – a solvent that provides a smooth layer for the nails and keeps the pigment. It is known that toluene can affect the central nervous system and may also cause reproductive disorders.
- Formaldehyde – a colorless gas that makes the nail-polish last longer. In the worst case, this gas can cause irregular heartbeat, seizures, and cancer.
- Dibutyl Phthalate – it is used as an aroma. This nail-polish component can cause endocrine disorders, as well as gynecological and respiratory illnesses.
Scientists have conducted research on 24 women. After 10 hours of application of the nail-polish, diphenyl phosphate in their bodies reached 7 times higher concentration than normal, which is an alarming condition.
How to choose a nail-polish that will be safe for your health?
Some nail-polish products have special warnings:
- “5 Free” – This symbol indicates that the product does not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resins, toluene, dibutylphthalate and camphor.
- “3 Free” – This symbol indicates that the product does not contain the following three components: formaldehyde, dibutylphthalate, and toluene.
The next time you buy some fancy nail-polish, pay attention to its ingredients, because now you know their harmful effects.