Snickers is one of the most popular chocolate products from the Mars company. It’s beginnings date from 1930, and today the Mars company earns two million dollars annually from its sale worldwide.
In 2004, The Food and Drink Federation in the UK created a manifesto, including 7 pledge on action, with the request to the food and drink industry to clearly label ingredients and nutritional information, and make reduction of salt, sugar and fats in their products.
The Mars company pledged to replace the King Size Snickers bar in the UK, with a smaller size bar by 2005. However, the king sized bars are still sold in the US containing large amounts of salt and sugar and fats as well as many other questionable ingredients.
What are the Snickers bar ingredients?
Milk chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, skim milk, lactose, milk fat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor, peanuts, corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt and egg whites.
Apart from the obvious dangers to people with nut, dairy or eggs allergies, there are some other hidden dangers amongst these ingredients.
Snickers bar Nutritional information
Serving size: 2oz
Calories from fat: 98
- Sugar and corn sugar (high fructose corn syrup)
In an experiment rats which were fed HFCS gained 300% more fat than those being fed (even slightly more amounts of) regular sugar or sugar from fruit. It also causes bad cholesterol in the blood, causing plaque build up, leading to heart disease, hypertension, and even stroke. Liver, gallbladder and kidneys process HFCS. It acts highly destructive to the liver and can cause fatty liver. Scarring of the liver reduces its ability to process out toxins that will make you sick. HFCS is also high in Mercury levels. Exposure (in young, growing children especially) can result in irreversible brain and damage in the nervous system.
- Soybean Oil / Soy Lecithin
- Soy has high levels of phytoestrogen. Phytoestrogens are plant based estrogen that mimic the estrogen in our body. By the consummation of high amounts of phytoestrogen, we are a risk of getting breast cancer, endometriosis, infertility, uterine fibroids, and low libido.
- Soy is also the king of cell Goitrogens (thyroid suppressors).
- Phytlates which is found in soy blocks the absorption of minerals.
- Trypsin inhibitors, also found in soy inhibit proper digestion of protein.
- 93% of Soy is GMO (genetically modified).
- Partially hydrogenated soybean oil.
- GMO soybean oil causes diabetes, obesity, diabetes, fatty liver.
GMO soybean oil is an unnatural man made fat (from one of the most unhealthy oils-soybean oil) that can cause cellular dysfunction. This leads to cancer, autoimmune disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, heart disease, bone degeneration, increased levels of “bad” cholesterol and decreased levels of “good” cholesterol, reduces immune function, creates reproductive problems and causes interference with our body’s ability to utilize omega-3 fats.
So, before buying a Snickers bar think about it and change your mind!